- Our Work
- Economic Growth and Trade
- Environment and Global Climate Change
- Global Health
- Persons with Disabilities
- Vulnerable Populations
- Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS)
- Foreign Assistance Data
- Lower Mekong Initiative (LMI)
- Partnership Opportunities
- Transforming Lives
- Reports and Publications
- Tools, Guidelines, and Templates for USAID Partners
At the request of the Government of Vietnam (GVN), the U.S. Government agreed to complete the environmental remediation, or cleanup, of the Danang Airport due to high dioxin concentrations in soil and sediment remaining from the U.S.-Vietnam War. Working in close partnership with the Government of Vietnam, USAID completed an environmental assessment in June 2010 followed by the engineering and design work for the remediation activities. The Vietnamese Government completed its own environmental impact assessment and also completed unexploded ordnance clearance at the Danang Airport site in 2011. The remediation project was approved by the Vietnam Prime Minister, also in 2011.
As a part of the strong partnership, in August 2012, the U.S. Government and the Vietnam Ministry of Defense (MND) began project implementation at Danang, which aims to clean up the dioxin contamination and consequently eliminate the risk of dioxin exposure to the surrounding community while developing Vietnamese capacity for environmental assessment and remediation activities.
In May 2015, successful treatment of approximately 45,000 cubic meters of dioxin-contaminated material was confirmed – the first of two phases of treatment. Another approximately 45,000 cubic meters of contaminated material will be treated in 2016-2017.
- Progress Highlights
- Project Timeline
- Remediation Areas
- A Description of the Remediation Process
- How Health and Safety Concerns Have Been Addressed
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Key Facts about the Environmental Remediation Project in Danang
- More Information about Environmental Remediation
- Notice on Media Access to Danang Airport Dioxin Remediation Site
As we carry out this project, we are making all effort to ensure that the health and safety of on-site workers, airport personnel, and Danang residents are protected. Read more about Health and Safety.
For more information about environmental remediation, consult our page of links.
Last updated: July 19, 2016