Our Mission: On behalf of the American people, we promote and demonstrate democratic values abroad, and advance a free, peaceful, and prosperous world. In support of America's foreign policy, the U.S. Agency for International Development leads the U.S. Government's international development and disaster assistance through partnerships and investments that save lives, reduce poverty, strengthen democratic governance, and help people emerge from humanitarian crises and progress beyond assistance.
Our objective is to support partners to become self-reliant and capable of leading their own development journeys. We make progress toward this by reducing the reach of conflict, preventing the spread of pandemic disease, and counteracting the drivers of violence, instability, transnational crime and other security threats. We promote American prosperity through investments that expand markets for U.S. exports; create a level playing field for U.S. businesses; and support more stable, resilient, and democratic societies. We stand with people when disaster strikes or crisis emerges as the world leader in humanitarian assistance.
Our Core Values
PASSION FOR MISSION
We come to work to foster sustainable development and advance human dignity globally.
- We each contribute uniquely in advancing our mission, whether by working in different sectors or by supporting global operations and management.
We strive for efficiency, effectiveness, and meaningful results across our work.
- We aspire to lead international and US Government efforts to advance the economic, political, social, and environmental well-being of the world’s most vulnerable people.
- We continually seek to improve our operations and increase our impact.
- We take pride in our work and our accomplishments.
We are honest and transparent, accountable for our efforts, and maintain a consistently high moral standard.
- We are ethical in all that we do.
- We are fair with colleagues, partners, and those we serve, building relationships of trust.
We demonstrate respect for one another, our partners, and the people we serve in communities around the world.
- We recognize and acknowledge the strength that comes from diversity.
- We value all people equally and treat others as we would like to be treated.
- We consistently demonstrate professionalism and respect in our communications and in our behavior.
We elevate all voices striving for global economic, environmental, and social progress.
- We seek to ensure that all voices are heard.
- We strive to strengthen the voices of the marginalized and vulnerable.
- We value every team member and seek to ensure everyone can fulfill their potential.
We value our differences and draw strength from diversity.
- We support programs that engage people across societies and benefit whole communities and countries.
- We value every member of our team, learn from their experience, and foster their active engagement.
- We advance equality, foster equal opportunity and address inequality within our Agency and in our work.
COMMITMENT TO LEARNING
We seek to improve ourselves and our work continually through reflection and evaluation.
- We design and assess programs with an eye towards constant improvement.
- We recognize that professional development is fundamental to team satisfaction and success.