CATALYZING GENDER EQUITY IN CLIMATE FINANCE
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID), with the support of Amazon, has launched the Climate Gender Equity Fund (CGEF, or the Fund) – a public-private partnership to leverage funding to scale climate finance that advances gender-equitable climate action. CGEF will increase access to climate finance for gender-responsive, women-led, and women-benefiting organizations that address climate change. CGEF is one of the first major activities of USAID’s Climate Finance for Development Accelerator (CFDA), a $250 million initiative designed to mobilize $2.5 billion in public and private climate investments by 2030 to fund a range of climate change mitigation and adaptation solutions focused on scaling up the transition to an equitable and resilient net-zero economy.
Launched with an initial commitment of $6 million between USAID and Amazon, CGEF seeks to leverage at least $60 million in capital from corporations, foundations, bi/multilaterals, and other funders. CGEF will reach women climate leaders in global emerging markets where USAID operates (see additional detail linked below). Additionally, through the Climate Pledge Fund's Female Founder Initiative, Amazon has separately committed to invest $50 million in women-led and women founded climate technology companies that will enable Amazon to meet its net-zero carbon goals.
CGEF will increase access to finance for the investment vehicles, businesses, and community-based organizations developing and scaling women-led and women-benefiting climate solutions.
- Support the development and scaling of climate mitigation and adaptation businesses and solutions by directly funding climate-smart women-led and women-benefiting businesses and investment vehicles through grants of at least ~100k USD or more
- Support intermediaries facilitating financing to businesses and organizations at the intersection of gender and climate such as incubators, accelerators, business service providers, associations, and other organizations working to transform the climate finance sector to be gender-responsive
- Drive thought leadership and advocacy to identify and remove systemic market barriers for women accessing climate finance, working through community-based organizations
CGEF is seeking partners committed to catalyzing gender equity in climate finance to join us through the following:
- Advisory Council: Active role in strategic guidance, headline branding, and funding round sponsorship opportunities – suggested commitment of $3M over a 3-year period.
- Partnership Council: Supporting role, participation, and co-branding opportunities – contributions based on annual revenues or equivalent. Suggested annual donations for a 3-year period include: $250k for companies that have $1B or above in revenue; or 100k for companies with under $1B in revenue.