USAID has also assisted other vulnerable groups, such as people at risk of trafficking and victims of trafficking (VOTs), through developing community-based services, developing the capacities of organizations providing support to these populations, strengthening the National Referral Mechanism, and enhancing advocacy efforts to promote their rights and increase public awareness.
Expanding Participation of Persons with Disabilities
- USAID supported more than 120 new or improved services for persons with disabilities through small grants to DPOs and CSOs. 35 initiatives improved access to social services and employment opportunities for youth with disabilities in all regions of Belarus. In 2017-2021, over 2,000 persons with disabilities benefited from USAID-supported services.
- USAID local partners participated in a government working group to develop a roadmap for implementing the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. As a result, over 25 recommendations were included in the National Plan on Implementing the Convention for 2017-2025, 13 of which have been adopted.
- Awareness campaigns reached over 500,000 people promoting inclusion and reducing stigma.
- In 2017-2020, over 330 disabled people’s organizations and social service providers were strengthened with USAID support.
Countering Trafficking in Persons
- USAID’s support led to the creation of a TIP network of 19 CSOs.
- In 2017-2021, over 22,000 people improved their awareness on the dangers of TIP.
- In 2017-2021, national toll free hotline and online consultation services provided over 17,000 consultations on safe travel abroad.
- Since 2005, 1,070 victims of trafficking received reintegration assistance.
- From 2005 till 2017, more than 2,100 representatives of groups vulnerable to human traffciking received job skills training with USAID support.
- In 2017-2021, USAID provided individual assistance to VOTs in securing full time employment. In different years, from 40 to 60% of former VOTs obtained employment as a result of safe job-seeking training.