- Our Work
- Foreign Assistance Data
- Lower Mekong Initiative (LMI)
- Partnership Opportunities
- Transforming Lives
- Reports and Publications
- Tools, Guidelines, and Templates for USAID Partners
Vietnam is one of the world’s most vulnerable countries to the effects of climate change. Climate change threatens long-term economic growth, poverty alleviation and sustainable development. Vietnam’s vulnerability is increased by its already existing exposure to climate-related natural hazards, its geography, pattern of economic development,and densely populated deltas and coastal areas, as well as vulnerable minority populations in remote upland watersheds. Increasing temperatures, worsening droughts and floods, sea level rise and increased frequency of storms threaten food security, livelihoods and lives for millions of Vietnamese. Climate change is a priority area for the Government of Vietnam and Vietnam is a focus country for USAID climate change programming.
USAID is addressing climate change challenges through an integrated mitigation, adaptation and disaster risk reduction approach, including activities such as:
- Strengthening Capacity and Institutional Reform for Green Growth and Sustainable Development in Vietnam (2014-2018) is a key instrument to help Vietnam pursue a green growth, low emission development pathway through the implementation of the Vietnam Green Growth Strategy at the national and provincial levels. Implemented through a partnership with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the project’s Government of Vietnam counterpart is the Ministry of Planning and Investment.
- Vietnam Low Emission Energy Program (2015-2020) strengthens the foundation for low emission energy systems. The project is developing a low emission strategy for the energy sector while working to improve the enabling environment for renewable energy development and promote private investment for large-scale renewable energy. It aims to increase energy efficiency adoption and compliance in energy-intensive sectors. The Government of Vietnam counterpart is the Ministry of Industry and Trade.
- Vietnam Clean Energy Program (2012-2017) helps Vietnam promote energy efficiency in one of the highest energy use sectors, the building sector. The program enhances Government of Vietnam and other stakeholder capacity to acquire, manage, analyze, and use energy sector data in decision-making, as well as assists in the development of construction sector green growth action plans. The Government of Vietnam counterpart is the Ministry of Construction.
- Vietnam Forests and Deltas Program (2012-2018) accelerates Vietnam’s transition to climate-resilient, low-emission, sustainable development by helping to reduce and reverse emissions from deforestation and degradation of forests and agricultural landscapes and increases climate change resilience in the Red River and Mekong Deltas. The program’s Government of Vietnam counterpart is the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
- USAID Green Annamites (2016-2020) supports provincial and local interventions in Central Annamites landscapes that are focused on increasing application of low emissions land use, strengthening biodiversity conservation and increasing resilience for vulnerable communities. The project helps protect people, landscapes and biodiversity in Vietnam’s priority forested provinces, working directly with governments and citizens in the provinces of Quang Nam and Thua Thien Hue.
- Red River Delta Adaptation and Youth (2015-2018) strengthens provincial capacity to adapt to future climate change impact through the active participation of youth in assessing risk, planning, and implementing climate resilient initiatives. The project is implemented by a local organization, The Center for Marinelife Conservation and Community Development.
- Climate Resilient and Sustainable Urban Development Program (2015-2019) improves the policy and institutional framework for climate resilient and sustainable urban development. USAID supports the Government of Vietnam through the Asian Development Bank in the development of a National Urban Development Strategy and a National Target Program for Urban Climate Change Resilience.
KEY GOVERNMENT OF VIETNAM PARTNERS
- Vietnam Builds Energy Efficiency Expertise
- Climate-Smart Rice Increases Yields and Profits in Vietnam
Last updated: December 01, 2016