- Our Work
- Economic Growth and Trade
- Environment and Global Climate Change
- Global Health
- Persons with Disabilities
- Vulnerable Populations
- Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS)
- Lower Mekong Initiative (LMI)
- Partnership Opportunities
- Transforming Lives
- Reports and Publications
- Tools, Guidelines, and Templates for USAID Partners
- USAID began working with the Office of the National Steering Committee 33 (Office 33), which coordinates the Vietnamese government's policies and programs related to Agent Orange. Bilateral discussions held about approaches for remediation.
- USAID and Office 33 sign a Memorandum of Understanding establishing the framework for the Danang Airport Remediation Project.
- USAID begins preparing an Environmental Assessment (EA) to assess the extent of dioxin contamination and approaches to remediate Danang Airport.
- USAID completes the EA that recommended thermal desorption as most effective available and scientifically proven technology, for the remediation of Danang Airport.
- USAID and MND sign a Memorandum of Intent for implementation of the Danang Airport Remediation Project.
- The Prime Minister of Vietnam and MND approve plans for the Danang Airport Remediation Project.
- MND clears unexploded ordnance from the remediation site and submits Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) on the technology selection and project plan to the Vietnamese Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) for review.
- MONRE approved the EIA in May 2012.
- USAID and MND launch the implementation of the Danang Airport Remediation Project on August 9, 2012.
- All major contractors were signed onto the project
- Comprehensive health and safety training consistent with international standards was conducted and continues to be conducted for on-site workers
- Containment/treatment structure was built
- Majority of contaminated soil and sediment designated for Phase 1 treatment was excavated
- The structure was completely filled with approximately 45,000 cubic meters of contaminated soil and sediment
- Installation of the remediation technology and liquid/vapor treatment plant began
- Remediation technology and construction of the liquid/vapor treatment plant was completed
- Community awareness event held in Danang
- Phase 1 treatment began
- Majority of contaminated soil and sediment designated for Phase 2 treatment was excavated
- Phase 1 treatment completed
- Removal of treated soil underway
- Remaining contaminated soil and sediment is being excavated and stockpiled
- Community awareness event to be held in Danang
- Progress Reports for the Environmental Remediation Project at Danang Airport
- Remediation Areas
- A Description of the Remediation Process
- How Health and Safety Concerns Have Been Addressed
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Community and Stakeholder Engagement
- Key Facts about the Environmental Remediation Project in Danang
Last updated: November 20, 2015