The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Tunisia promotes an inclusive, accountable political system, and dynamic private sector-led economic growth, which promotes prosperous and resilient communities across the country and advances Tunisian development. Since 2011, USAID has provided nearly $685 million in assistance to Tunisia.
USAID supports the Tunisian people’s goal of a resilient, prosperous, and democratic Tunisia. USAID assistance in Tunisia focuses on democracy and governance, economic growth, and supporting a social safety net that provides direct relief to vulnerable Tunisians.
To mitigate the economic and financial crisis in Tunisia, much of USAID’s Economic Growth programming focuses on direct support to small and medium-sized enterprises. In the past year alone, more than 19,000 Tunisian businesses have benefited from our financial or technical assistance. USAID has also focused on improving the business-enabling environment to create conditions for businesses to grow and thrive. USAID has focused on far-ranging public financial management reforms, which should, once fully implemented, substantially improve government transparency and accountability, currently a major source of public concern.
- 30,000 businesses assisted
- 42,000 new jobs
- 40,000 people trained
- $300 million financing facilitated
- $500 million in increased sales for assisted businesses
- $400 million in increased exports for assisted businesses
DEMOCRACY AND GOVERNANCE
USAID works with civil society organizations, Tunisian institutions, youth, and other stakeholders to strengthen Tunisia’s democratic institutions and political processes, encourage diverse citizen participation and engagement, and promote positive youth development. USAID’s Democracy and Governance program helps advance Tunisia’s democratic consolidation through the inclusion of traditionally underserved areas of Tunisia, civic and voter education, electoral systems strengthening, political participation, and citizen oversight initiatives.
- Reached over 1 million citizens through Civic and Voter Education Campaigns and ensured that people with disabilities were included in the 2019 elections by developing a sign language lexicon, a smartphone application, and a series of animated videos into the Election Commission’s voter outreach efforts
- Reached over 3,940 participants in community-based activities to promote positive youth development and prevent violent extremism
- Engaged 45,000 followers on social media to promote positive youth development
- Refurbished and equipped 47 safe spaces in communities throughout Tunisia, providing Tunisian youth with opportunities to improve their skills and contribute to their communities
SOCIAL SAFETY NET
The Social Safety Net portfolio provides relief to vulnerable Tunisians to lessen the impact of the economic crisis and food prices while supporting Tunisia’s ability to more effectively target social assistance to the most vulnerable to lessen the need for subsidies and government expenditures.