Belgrade – On Friday, February 14, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) signed an agreement launching the second government-to-government assistance program between the United States and Serbia. Ms. Ivana Ćirković, Director of the Office for Cooperation with Civil Society, H.E. Michael D. Kirby, U.S. Ambassador to Serbia, and Ms. Susan K. Fritz, USAID/Serbia Mission Director participated in the signing.
USAID/Serbia is providing approximately $215,000 to the Office for Cooperation with Civil Society. Over 18 months, the CSEE Project will work to strengthen the policy environment for civil society in Serbia, promote greater cooperation between Government and civil society, and support CSO engagement in Serbia’s EU accession process.
Over 18 months, the Civil Society Enabling Environment Project (CSEE) will:
· assist the Government develop a legislative and policy agenda that supports civil society;
· generate a web platform with neighboring countries to share best practices in engaging CSOs in the EU accession process;
· train Government officials on the importance of and best methods in working with CSOs;
· provide research on CSOs throughout Serbia to enable greater engagement between the public and civil society sectors; and
· enhance the Government of Serbia's capability to deliver support to and through civil society organizations.
With this program, USAID reiterates its commitment to working directly with the Government of Serbia and affirms its support for an active and engaged civil society in Serbia.
Last updated: November 17, 2016