- Our Work
- Partnership for Growth
- Country Development Cooperation Strategy
- Transforming Lives
- Foreign Assistance Data
- Dollars to Results
- Partnership Opportunities
The Coral Triangle (CT) is a geographical area that represents the global epicenter of marine life and biodiversity, with the Philippines located at the “center of the center” of world marine biodiversity. However, the marine resources of the Philippines and the region have been faced with threats of unsustainable fishing practices, land-based pollution and coastal development, including the growing threat of climate change. In order to meet the challenge of accelerating marine conservation, there is a need to address the range of gaps in effective management and good governance of tropical marine ecosystems, including the dearth of skilled expertise in this field. This brings to fore the urgent need for an academic program on Tropical Marine Ecosystem Management that will integrate science and experience in order to address important biodiversity and marine conservation concerns, particularly linked with sustainable development of the region .
The PM-TMEM targets mid-level TMEM/MPA practitioners. It has emphasis on hands-on exposure embedded within all its courses with field sites within the CT region. It follows an integrative, transdisciplinary approach and will be offered in a modular format that can be finished within 1.5 years.
The 2.5 year development phase of the project is focused on curriculum development and program institutionalization workshops among the UP Partners, aside from the review and approval process of the curriculum through the UP System. The planned implementation of the program’s first cycle is August 2014 to December 2015.
Establish a postgraduate academic program in the Philippines focused on the capacity building of professionals in the effective management and good governance of tropical marine ecosystems and its natural resources
- To develop and institutionalize the Professional Masters in Tropical Marine Ecosystem Management (PM-TMEM) with Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) as the initial Area of Specialization at UP
- To implement the PM-TMEM academic program of regional scope through the collaboration of constituent universities within the UP System: UP Diliman, UP Los Baños, and UP Visayas
- To develop a network of TMEM professionals, experts and institutions within the region as a support network for the continuous professional growth of the program’s graduates
October 2011 – April 2016
Last updated: September 10, 2015