For Immediate Release
Belgrade – The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has a new approach to development that puts local organizations in charge through direct funding to Serbian government institutions, civil society organizations, and the private sector. In this way, the U.S. government also shows its confidence in the ability of these organizations to manage U.S. government funds effectively. On Monday, February 24, during a reception at the U.S. Ambassador's residence, U.S. Ambassador Michael D. Kirby and USAID/Serbia Mission Director Susan K. Fritz recognized the following three new Serbian development partners and projects:
(1) Civil Society Enabling Environment Project: USAID is providing over $200,000 to the Government of Serbia’s Office for Cooperation with Civil Society. Over 18 months, steps will be taken to improve the enabling environment of civil society organizations (CSOs) in Serbia by developing a National Strategy on civil society, improving communications between CSOs and the government, sharing best practices in engaging CSOs in the EU accession process, and training government officials on how to best work with CSOs.
(2) Competitiveness Support Project: The National Alliance for Local Economic Development (NALED) will work over a 2-year period to improve the business enabling environment by combatting the shadow economy and by utilizing brownfield sites to create inspiring spaces in which businesses can operate; and
(3) ICT Hub: USAID will partner with two successful Serbian companies, Orion Telekom and DNA Advertising, on a 20-month program to generate new jobs and promote entrepreneurship by establishing an information and communication technologies hub for software developers.
“We are putting the responsibility for Serbia’s development directly into the hands of Serbians, who best understand local needs” explained Ambassador Kirby.
Related Press Releases
- Presentation of the National Program for Countering the Shadow Economy Developed with USAID Support
- Predstavljanje Nacionalnog programa za suzbijanje sive ekonomije čiju izradu je podržao USAID
- Local Disability Movement, the National Assembly and USAID Partner to Improve the Position of Persons with Disabilities in Serbia
Last updated: February 03, 2016