On Thursday, June 9, 2022, on the margins of the Ninth Summit of the Americas, USAID Administrator Samantha Power and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas will host a multi-sectoral discussion on U.S. government efforts to expand labor migration pathways from northern Central America and announce “Guidance on Fair Recruitment Practices for Temporary Migrant Workers.” As the Biden-Harris Administration seeks to expand lawful pathways through H-2 temporary worker programs, this guidance provides principles and guidelines on preventing abuse of prospective workers.
The H-2 program provides a meaningful alternative to irregular migration and enables U.S. businesses facing acute labor shortages to benefit from the deep pools of qualified workers from Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador—while workers themselves can avail themselves of a job opportunity without having to make the perilous trip to the U.S. border and remain connected to their home communities.
The guidance is part of a multi-agency effort to promote best practices by those countries seeking to increase participation in the H-2A program for temporary agricultural workers and the H-2B program for seasonal non-agricultural workers, as well as recruiters and employers who rely on these programs.
Administrator Power and Secretary Mayorkas will be joined by government officials from the U.S. Departments of Agriculture, Labor, and State, along with the Foreign Ministers of Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador, and leaders from the public, private, nonprofit and philanthropic sectors in promoting fair recruitment of temporary workers from northern Central America.
EVENT: USAID Fair Recruitment and H-2 Visas Summit of the Americas Side Event
WHEN: Thursday, June 9, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. PST
WHERE: Courtyard Marriott (0.3 mi from LA Convention Center)
901 W Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90015
- Samantha Power, Administrator of USAID
- Alejandro N. Mayorkas, Secretary of Homeland Security
- Katie Tobin, Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Trans border, National Security Council
- Anne Knapke, Deputy Chief of Staff of USDA
- Raul Ruiz, U.S. Representative and Chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus
- Mario Búcaro, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Guatemala
- Enrique Reina, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Honduras
- Alexandra Hill, Minister of Foreign Affairs of El Salvador
- Sarah Thorn, Senior Director, Global Government Affairs, Walmart
The event and remarks are open to the press.
RSVP: Due to space limitations, this event is only open to still photographers and print reporters. Please RSVP by Wednesday, June 8 at 10 p.m. ET [here].