- Distributed 3,405,892 WaterGuard sachets to 56,076 individuals in 14,019 households that did not previously have access to safe and clean water;
- Repaired 9 boreholes and installed 19 shallow wells in communities through the Tiwalere project;
- Trained a total of 4,749 beneficiaries on improved hygiene and sanitation practices;
- Worked with Peace Corps volunteers to dig and line 4 of 9 proposed wells and reinforce of 21 of 63 pit latrines, with assistance from the community of Traditional Authority Mwadzama in Nkhata Bay District;
- Printed 1,000 AVI poster boards with the new image of commercially available WaterGuard to increase awareness of the product; and
- Supplied chlorine to 50 chlorine dispensers via the Dispensers for Safe Water Project. Through this project, over four million liters of water have been treated at point of collection.
Clean water and access to adequate sanitation is essential for improved health outcomes.
Funding (FY 2012)
- $3 million
- Abt Associates
- Johns Hopkins University Feed the Children
- Catholic Relief Services
- Development Alternatives, Inc.
- Total Land Care
Karonga, Chitipa, Kasungu, Nkhotakhota, Salima, Lilongwe, Mangochi, Balaka, Dowa, Zomba, Machinga, Phalombe, Mulanje, Chikwawa, and Nsanje districts.
Last updated: April 13, 2015