- Our Work
- Foreign Assistance Data
- Transforming Lives
- Work with Us
Celebrating Earth Day, 22 April 2014, and Environment Day, 5 June, 2014!
We invite you to enter an info-graphic competition.
USAID, the U.S. Embassy, and the Hariyo Ban Program are pleased to announce an info-graphic contest on climate change, finishing up with an exciting week-long exhibition on the same theme. Winners will receive exciting prizes, and their work will be exhibited as part of a week-long exhibition on the environment in June.
What is an info-graphic?
Info-graphic, a visual graphic tool that breaks down complex data, is now a popular way to engage and inform the general public about critical issues that were otherwise originally produced in dense report formats.
Nepal is ranked as the world’s 14th most climate vulnerable country. With increasing effects of climate change being noted or implicated in various aspects of the Nepali life, in both its economic sectors and development goals, the time has never been more critical than now to communicate climate change better to the public and policy makers.
This year, the theme of Earth Day is climate resilient cities and urban centers. Nepal is the fastest urbanizing country in South Asia. It is critical that the country engages in a discourse on how we make this transition as climate resilient as possible. One way for this is to include climate change issues in everything – even art!
Contestants are invited to develop and submit info-graphics – one or a series – that explains climate change in the Nepali context.
What content should be included in the info-graphic?
- Definition of climate change
- At least one climate change context for Nepal. Please find the following themes aligned with the
National Adaptation Plan of Action:
- Integrated Management of Agriculture, Water, Forest and Biodiversity Sector
- Improved System and Access to Services Related to Agriculture Development
- Community-Based Disaster Management
- Glacial Lake Outburst Flood Monitoring and Disaster Risk Reduction and forest and
- Ecosystem Management
- Sustainable Management of Water Resource and Clean Energy Support and promoting
Climate Smart Urban Settlement
- Solutions that address climate change, including current effort and/or new ideas.
When does the competition begin and end?
Info-graphics can be submitted beginning 9:00 am (Nepal time) on 10 April, 2014. The final
deadline for submissions is 5:00 pm (Nepal time) on 29 April, 2014, the exact week after the
Earth Day. Any entries received after the deadline will be deemed invalid.
What is the prize for the competition winners?
- Attractive gift vouchers worth NPR 50,000 for the winner and NPR 40,000 for the second place,
and NPR 25,000 for the third.
- iPads for the winners.
- Educational and outreach trip to Kaski, to observe two climate change adaptation activities on
Info-graphic Competition Guidelines [PDF, 402kB]
Last updated: April 10, 2014