Start date: November 19, 2012 End Date: November 19, 2015
Anticipated Project budget (Life of Project): $ 488,268
Implementer: Media Development Center (MDC)
The goal of the overall SIMM project is to increase the legitimacy of the media and strengthen freedom of expression by empowering journalists to reduce their vulnerability to political, economic and legal intimidation. The project has three components:
- Media Fact Checking Service
- Investigative Journalism and Cooperation Between Media and Civil Society
- Media Legal Reform and Responsible Media
The SIMM component for Media Legal Reform and Responsible Media aims to encourage legal reforms leading to a sustainable media environment. The project will encourage full implementation of adopted laws and regulations related to the media in Macedonia. The program addresses the quality of the laws, and provides tools for lobbying and advocating for legal changes in line with the accepted international standards for freedom of expression.
- Regular monitoring and a reporting system for the implementation of the legal framework will be established. The legal framework will be amended to respond to international standards. The relevant laws and strategies will be implemented.
- An association of new media, including bloggers, portals and social media, will be established. As new media are becoming key sources of information in society, this component will provide a platform for sustainable development of new media initiatives, focusing on transfer of knowledge and development of business models that will improve the sustainability of new media, involvement of citizens in the creation of the content, and promotion of digital activism.
Last updated: November 09, 2015