Start date: March 19, 2007 End date: June 18, 2013
Project budget: (Life of Project) US $8.3 Million
Implementer: Tetra Tech ARD
Increase incomes for all participants in selected agricultural value chains in Macedonia by increasing exports, improving productivity, enhancing the agricultural business environment, and increasing access to finance. The project will utilize the existing capacity and expertise of Macedonian professionals and lead firms and farms to create more integrated supply chains in response to market opportunities.
- Broad-based approach to increase the productivity and competitiveness of all participants in the value chain.
- Multi-firm, export-focused value chain competitiveness enhancement.
- Enhancement of agribusiness firms’ access to viable sources of finance.
- Support the Agency for Foreign Investment and Export Promotion (Invest Macedonia) in building its export promotion capacity.
- Strengthen strategic planning and policy making of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Economy (MAFWE).
- Improve private sector capacity for advocacy and public-private dialogue
- Provided direct technical assistance to 372 agribusinesses, 34 producers’ organizations and 5 trade and business associations, to date.
- Stimulated $15 million of investments resulting in the creation of 637 new jobs and providing additional income to more than 42,400 rural Macedonian households.
- Increased the value of raw material purchases made from smallholder producers by $6.8 million; exports by $11.4 million, and total sales by over $14.8 million.
- Provided financial assistance to 22 small and medium-sized enterprises and farmers, enabling them to access $4.4 million in loans.
- Provided technical assistance to the Minister of Agriculture’s cabinet and relevant departments to develop five strategic documents.
Three new trade associations (Wines of Macedonia, Shumski Plod and Macedonian Agro Exporters Association) were established and the Macedonian Association of Processors has strengthened its capability to work in the best interests of its members, thus improving overall agricultural export competitiveness. The project is building the capacity of local business service providers by subcontracting with them to implement project activities.
AgBiz strengthened the strategic planning and policy-making capacity of MAFWE and helped the Ministry engage in more productive public-private dialogue on agricultural policy issues. The project also built the capacity of Invest Macedonia to provide better export promotion support to the private sector.
Contact at USAID: Meri Cuculoska, COR: email@example.com
Chief of Party: Goran Damovski: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Officer: Kristina Deriban: email@example.com
Last updated: February 26, 2013