Start date: March, 2012 End date: December, 2016
Project budget (Life of Project): $1.68 Million
Implementer: Rural Development Network of the Republic of Macedonia
Develop and disseminate affordable climate change adaptation technology and practices in the agricultural sector, by conducting comprehensive public awareness and outreach campaigns combined with capacity building programs tailored to the needs of farming operations.
Component 1: Develop, test, demonstrate, and disseminate innovative climate change-related adaptive measures to minimize the adverse effects of global warming on high-value crops in targeted regions.
Component 2: Raise public awareness and build the capacity of civil society to respond to climate change challenges and facilitate action at the community-level.
Achievements/Impact as of December 2015
- More than 1,400 farmers, local government representatives, agriculture extension agents, CSOs, journalists, and students have participated in various workshops, Climate Change Caravan events, and a quiz-bowl styled climate change contest, organized to increase their understanding and awareness of the impact climate change has on the agricultural sector in Macedonia.
- The project has established 28 demonstration plots for testing new adaptive measures and techniques for reducing the negative effects of climate change in 6 project modules: orchards, vineyards, vegetables, soil loss, water saving and livestock. The results were summarized in advisory packages composed of 11 different brochures, two studies and 5 videos on climate change adaptation in orchards, vineyards, vegetables, soil loss and livestock.
- The results include: no damage from hail in open field vegetable and table grape production covered with UV protective nets; no damage from sunburn on leaves and fruits of pear trees as a result of using UV nets; 55% higher yield in pear orchards covered with UV nets compared to uncovered orchards and an increase in quality of peaches as a result of new pruning and thinning techniques; 24,12% reduction of milk yield drop in dairy farm with installed ventilation and fogging system and 12% reduction of daily yield milk drop in farms with new climate change adaptive nutrition regime.
- The results from project applied on-farm practices were shared with more than 1250 farmers, agriculture extension agents and Ministry of Agriculture representatives through on-site and indoor trainings.
- A comprehensive capacity building training on EU LEADER approach principles was provided to the rural communities’ stakeholders of 21 municipalities from the Eastern and the Southeastern Planning Region. The process was completed with creation of 5 Local Development Strategies and development of 5 Local Action Groups (LAGs) initiatives: LAG Belasica-Ograzden; LAG Bojmija; LAG Plachkovica; LAG Bregalnica and LAG Malesh-Pijanec.
Contact at USAID: Meri Cuculoska, AOR: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief of Party: Petar Gjorgievski, email@example.com
Information Officer: Aleksandra Todorovska (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Last updated: December 13, 2016