The Office Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment (GenDev) is supporting women's leadership through media in Senegal through a two-year project implemented by World Education and its Senegalese partners, ARLS and INFORMORAC.
Empowering Women's Leadership in Civic Leadership and Journalismaims to strengthen the presence and voice of women on the radio. Collaborating with thirty local partners in 13 rural communities, the program strives to bring more gender balance to radio programming, highlight gender issues that pose challenges to communities, and spark positive social change around gender relations.
The program also aims to increase the coverage of gender issues, enhance the sensitivity of reporters in addressing gender issues, and increase public acceptance of women as expert in their coverage of broad topics.
Over two years, the Women’s Media & Leadership Development program will:
- Increase the voices and views of women and girls presented on radio programs
- Ensure that key gender issues are mainstreamed into radio programming
- Increase the role that women play in radio programming and management
- Increase the visibility and public awareness of gender inequalities
- Improve attitudes of the public toward women as content experts
- Engage civic activism and advocacy for social change around gender issues
Last updated: September 20, 2013