ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 04/2014
Depending on qualifications and experience incumbent may be hired at a trainee grade (one or two grades lower than the position grade.)
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates – Malawian Nationals
POSITION: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist
OPENING DATE: March 13, 2014
CLOSING DATE: March 27, 2014
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
POSITION GRADE: FSN- 8
BASIC FUNCTION OF THE POSITION
This position of PEPFAR Budget Assistant is located in the HIV team within the Health, Population and Nutrition (HPN) Office, USAID/Malawi, Lilongwe. The primary purpose of this position is to work hand in hand with the HPN’s Financial Program Management Specialist serving as the Finance Team Lead in analyzing and advising on the financial aspects of developing, designing, implementing and evaluating USAID PEPFAR projects and activities. S/he will work directly with the HIV Team Lead, the HPN Finance Team Lead, HIV Team activity managers and the President’s Emergency Plan for HIV and AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) Strategic Information Advisor to ensure budgets are monitored and reported in line with set targets.
The responsibilities herein require knowledge of USAID Development Assistance documentation procedures and requirements, USAID policies, health and population sector programs and activities in Malawi, and host government policies, programs and procedures related to HPN’s portfolio of activities. The incumbent is further responsible for understanding the guidelines, policies and procedures that are unique to PEPFAR and applying this knowledge to the budget analysis and monitoring process.
A copy of the complete Position Description listing all duties and responsibilities is available in the Human Resources Office. Contact the Human Resources Office on 01-772458 Ext. 5112 or 5114.
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
Requires an advanced Diploma in business, accounting, finance or a closely related field. A Bachelor’s degree would be an advantage.
b. Prior work experience:
Minimum of five years of full-time experience in an administrative or programmatic position with budgeting and accounting orientation. Experience with database development or operation.
c. Post-entry training:
Programming Foreign Assistance Training, Accruals and other USAID accounting and financial management courses or equivalents are recommended. On-the-job training on financial management and procurement procedures.
d. Language proficiency:
Level IV (fluent) English and Chichewa ability is required.
1. A thorough knowledge of USAID policies, goals and procedures is essential. Must be thoroughly familiar with USAID documentation preparation and processing. Must have a good working knowledge of the Automated Directives System (ADS) and USAID Handbooks pertaining to functions performed.
2. Must be a self-starter, work with minimum supervision, and capable of working independently. Must be willing to invest his/her time to become fully knowledgeable of USAID procurement statutes, regulations, and practices;
3. A thorough and detailed understanding of the substantive and administrative elements of budget and program operations, project designs, implementation, monitoring and evaluation processes.
4. Broad knowledge of accounting and ability to understand and derive budget and program information from accounting systems. Broad knowledge of internal control processes.
5. Substantial knowledge of computer applications especially in spreadsheet software such as Excel and Access database programs;
f. Abilities and Skills:
1. Must have the ability to obtain, analyze, organize and interpret data and present findings in both oral and written form. Must be able to prepare precise and accurate reports; and to develop and present briefings. Skills in the operation of computers and software program applications authorized for USAID use.
2. Develop and maintain contacts with staff throughout the Mission, including the Controller's Office, and the Executive Office;
3. Work effectively in teams, have the ability to create and manipulate spreadsheets, database and word processing documents.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following:
1. Current resume or curriculum vitae accompanied by a cover letter
2. Any other documentation (e.g. certificates, awards earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
We strongly encourage that potential candidates obtain a copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities. The full copy is available in the Human Resources Office. Contact the Human Resources Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; in person at USAID offices or by phone at 01-772458 Ext. 5112 or 5114.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Applicants must meet ALL minimum requirements above to apply.
Please send applications to: email@example.com or the following address:
Supervisory Executive Officer
P.O. Box 30455
Fax: (265) 01 773-181
POINT OF CONTACT
Human Resources Office
Telephone No. 01772458, Ext. 5112 or 5114
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Reference the Vacancy name on the subject line of your application: PEPFAR BUDGET ASSISTANT
Last updated: March 11, 2014