Open innovation inspires new solutions to the critical challenges affecting millions around the world. In the spirit of open innovation, Development Innovation Ventures (DIV) supports groundbreaking ideas to transform the lives of people living in poverty in developing countries around the world. DIV provides flexible, tiered grant funding to innovators and researchers to test new ideas and models, take strategic risks, build evidence of what works, and advance the best solutions.
DIV funds innovations that demonstrate our three guiding principles of: a) rigorous evidence of impact, b) cost-effectiveness, and c) potential for scale and sustainability. We accept proposals year-round from any type of organization, and in any sector and country in which USAID works. We accept proposals for funding at the following stages:
- STAGE 1: Pilot (up to $200,000)
- STAGE 2: Testing and Positioning for Scale (up to $1,500,000)
- STAGE 3: Transitioning to Scale (up to $15,000,000)
- Evidence Grants (up to $1,500,000)
For detailed information about DIV, the evaluation criteria, and examples of previously funded innovations, please visit www.usaid.gov/div.
Before you begin your application, please take the time to read through the resources below. These resources will help to ensure that your innovation meets our requirements:
- Take the DIV Self-screening Questionnaire to determine if your innovation is good fit for DIV.
- Please review DIV’s Annual Program Statement (APS). This document provides a detailed description of the DIV program and of DIV’s application requirements for each funding stage.
- Visit https://www.usaid.gov/div/apply for tips and instructions on how to submit your online application. All applications must be submitted through DIV’s application portal.
- You will need to create an account on the online application portal. You may use this account to work on the application over time and check the status of your application.
- Your application will save automatically and continuously as you work on the application; therefore, there is no need to “save” your application.
- The application is plain text only.
- There are three sections to the online application. You must complete all sections of the application to be considered for funding.
- Be clear and concise. While each field has limits on the amount of text, there is no need to fill the space provided.
- Once you submit an application, you will not be able to edit your application.
- Applications submitted via post or email will not be reviewed.
- Please submit only one application per project and project team.