- What We Do
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Democracy, Human Rights and Governance
- Economic Growth and Trade
- Ending Extreme Poverty
- Environment and Global Climate Change
- Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- Global Health
- Water and Sanitation
- Working in Crises and Conflict
- U.S. Global Development Lab
Although the Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) region has experienced more than a decade of strong economic growth, declining poverty, and deepening democracy, development challenges persist. Deteriorating citizen security, poor educational outcomes, high levels of youth unemployment, and extreme vulnerability to natural disasters are just some of the difficult issues facing countries in the region. To address these challenges, USAID has launched the Innovation Fund for the Americas (IFA) to invest in cost-effective breakthrough solutions to development challenges in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Using the Development Innovation Ventures staged financing model, IFA will pilot, rigorously test, and bring to scale promising projects with the potential to significantly (rather than incrementally) improve development outcomes. USAID encourages entrepreneurs, innovators, businesses, academics, NGOs, local partners and others to submit proposals for cost-saving development solutions. Although projects addressing issues in any sector across Latin America and the Caribbean are eligible, IFA is especially interested in proposals that:
- Address energy and environment, citizen safety, at-risk youth, education and democracy challenges; and
- Address challenges within the four pillars of the U.S. Haiti strategy (infrastructure and energy, food and economic security, health and other basic services, and governance and rule of law). For more information, see the DIV Haiti Initiative.
- Demonstrate novel ideas for cost-effective solutions to Mexico's most pressing development challenges. With a particular emphasis on small businesses, IFA will help support Mexican intellectual curiosity, innovation, creativity, and entrepreneurship. See the IFA Mexico Fact Sheet for more information.
To learn more about IFA:
- Read the press release, President Obama and USAID Launch Innovation Fund for the Americas
- Check out the Innovation Fund for the Americas fact sheet
How to Apply
The Innovation Fund for the Americas seeks applications through DIV's Annual Program Statement (APS). Learn how to apply here.
Last updated: December 04, 2013