- Partnership Opportunities
- Respond to a Solicitation
- Build a Partnership With Us
- Bring us Your Ideas
- Get Involved
- Partnership Inquiries
There are many Civil Service (CS) career possibilities with the U.S. Agency for International Development. No matter which one you choose, you'll be able to make a difference in the world while contributing to the mission of supporting the foreign policy of the United States of America. Civil service employees remain at the core of USAID/Washington staff and are the prime element in helping to shape programs overseas.
As a CS employee, you will inherently perform governmental functions and act as the essential link between strategic interests and the program content and style selected to achieve that interest. Additionally, as a CS employee, you can expect to have greater responsibility for accountability and oversight; more comprehension of, and better responsiveness to, Agency guidance and direction; corporate memory; and the knowledge, experience and "weight" to work effectively with other USG agencies.
Civil service employees support USAID objectives by:
- Providing policy oversight for overseas programs
- Providing operational support for overseas programs
- Maintaining accountability and oversight for more than $10 billion in annual foreign assistance funds
- Developing strategies, policies, budgets, and programs in a range of development sectors and countries
- Monitoring acquisition and assistance
- Performing knowledge management
- Collaborating with key stakeholders in other U.S. government agencies, the private and non-profit sectors, and other development agencies
Some of the benfits you can expect at USAID include: a variety of health insurance and benefits plans; long-term savings and investment programs for federal employees (equivalents to 401(K) with Government matching); life and long-term care insurance; flexible work schedules, and generous leave packages.
Civil Service Requirements
To apply for a civil service position, you must be:
- At least 16 years of age
- A U.S. citizen
Each job vacancy announcement also has more specific requirements relevant to the position.
Applying for a Civil Service Position
Learn more about working at USAID:
Last updated: August 02, 2012