The Caribbean Basin Security Initiative (CBSI) is a shared Caribbean-U.S. security partnership launched in 2010 that fulfills President Obama’s commitment to deepen Caribbean security cooperation, particularly among the Caribbean states as announced at the Fifth Summit of the Americas. The CBSI partnership complements existing citizen safety initiatives between the United States and other partners in the hemisphere and will increase citizen safety throughout the Caribbean by working together to: (1) substantially reduce illicit trafficking; (2) advance public safety and security; and (3) promote social justice.
USAID/Jamaica’s CBSI programs address the following areas:
- Juvenile Justice related projects provide support to encouraging alternative sentencing programs for juveniles. Efforts will be child-friendly, rehabilitative, integrated, and will take a holistic approach to assisting young delinquents in becoming active citizens by working in prevention, justice system reform, diversion, and rehabilitation and reintegration.
- Anti-Corruption projects are aimed at reducing the incidence of tax and customs evasion, improving tax and customs administration, and supporting the development of civil society institutions to draw attention to corruption at all levels of Jamaican society.
- Community Policing activities involve the promotion of community-driven activities to contribute to improved crime prevention, intervention, and enforcement, engaging multiple sectors of society in a common effort to develop a culture supportive of the rule of law, and enhancement of the police force’s ability to be a more community-oriented institution.
- Basic Education activities carried out in partnership with the Ministry of Education ensure that children in grades one through three in selected low performing schools are engaged in structured reading programs appropriate to their level of development.
- Workforce Development programs are implemented with a range of public and private sector partners. Activities include expanded education and training programs customized to youth career choices (including agriculture, apiculture, aquaculture, and other entrepreneurship ventures), elective training in technical and vocational specializations, and exposure to life-coping skills.
Last updated: February 19, 2014