Since 2001, USAID has invested nearly $687 million in Serbia to promote democracy and good governance, and to stimulate economic growth.
The Agency's initiatives include:
- Strengthening the rule of law and tackling corruption, making court operations more efficient, and helping Serbia become a better place to do business.
- Assisting Serbia’s independent media adapt to new platforms.
- Helping NGOs advocate for and engage citizens.
- Assisting companies in vulnerable, less-developed areas with training in business skills, packaging and marketing. Hundreds of small food processors--many run by women and young people--are learning to better package products and prepare for trade fairs so Serbia’s traditional foods can be exported.
The Opportunity Bank of Serbia, with USAID's assistance, has:
- Provided over €125 million in loans
- Created 8,000 new jobs
- Sustained over 60,000 jobs
- Awarded loans to nearly 1,000 refugees and internally displaced persons
Last updated: March 01, 2013