- What We Do
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Democracy, Human Rights and Governance
- Economic Growth and Trade
- Ending Extreme Poverty
- Environment and Global Climate Change
- Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- Global Health
- Science, Technology and Innovation
- Development Innovation Ventures
- Data & Analytics for Development
- Frontiers in Development
- Grand Challenges for Development
- Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN)
- International Research & Science Programs
- Leveraging Universities
- Mobile Solutions
- Pioneers Prize
- Research and Innovation Fellowships
- Science at USAID
- Tech Challenge for Atrocity Prevention
- Water and Sanitation
- Working in Crises and Conflict
Through this new era of expanding information and analysis, members of the academic community are:
- Helping to map crises from their dorm rooms.
- Generating SMS applications that can help keep medical records in developing countries.
- Developing microscopes that can fit cell-phone cameras and support diagnoses in remote places.
- Changing how we see what is possible throughout the world.
However, these networks of ideas and solvers are moving forward unconnected to the development work of USAID, and are often moving forward unconnected to developing country counterparts and without regard to investing in strengthening developing country capacity.
USAID has a strong legacy of building the capacity of developing country institutions, harnessing the research capacity of global institutions and providing opportunities and access to higher education. In addition to traditional work with universities, USAID is pursuing a non-traditional approach to harness the intellectual power of the great academic institutions and to work with them to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.
The Agency’s Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN) program aims to engage students and faculty and catalyze the enthusiasm on campuses for international development, making it easier to turn advocacy and ideas on campus into action and results in the field.
USAID is uncovering truly innovative ideas and multi-disciplinary approaches for more effective development through engagement with the higher education community. The Agency anticipates this effort will identify and spark the groundbreaking solutions that will advance the field of development.
For questions, please contact: email@example.com
Last updated: September 13, 2012