- Agriculture and Food Security
- Democracy, Human Rights and Governance
- Economic Growth and Trade
- Environment and Global Climate Change
- Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- Global Health
- Science, Technology and Innovation
- Development Innovation Ventures
- Data & Analytics for Development
- For Host Institutions
- Frontiers in Development
- Grand Challenges for Development
- Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN)
- International Research & Science Programs
- Leveraging Universities
- Mobile Solutions
- Science at USAID
- Tech Challenge for Atrocity Prevention
- Water and Sanitation
- Working in Crises and Conflict
Connecting African Universities with online scientific journals and networking tools equivalent to those available to a top tier university is a quintessential form of science diplomacy and capacity building.
The effort provides such universities with unparalleled access to knowledge and information, equipping them with the means to solve problems for themselves. It fosters a network of developing world scientists that increases scientific output and gives researchers the knowledge required to join the broader scientific community and focus on problems critical to their country or region.
A key component of the initiative will establish a new digital platform, initially in four countries in Central and Eastern Africa, which will integrate modern social networking with online access to journal articles and other scientific resources. This new tool will encourage collaboration & knowledge exchange, and will support African development by closing knowledge gaps around key development challenges. The initiative will leverage existing and future investments in science and education made by the Department of State, the National Science Foundation, and other international agencies.
Stay tuned for more information.
Last updated: August 17, 2012