- What We Do
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Democracy, Human Rights and Governance
- Economic Growth and Trade
- Ending Extreme Poverty
- Environment and Global Climate Change
- Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- Global Health
- Water and Sanitation
- Working in Crises and Conflict
- U.S. Global Development Lab
Reach the Missed 3 Million – Find. Treat. Cure TB.
Despite being curable, tuberculosis (TB) remains an enormous global public health issue. Of the 9 million people a year who get sick with TB, a third are “missed” by public health systems. The majority of these 3 million are the most poor and vulnerable.
TB is a contagious bacterial airborne disease that claims a life every 18 seconds. TB knows no boundaries or borders, making it a global health emergency that must be addressed with immediate and aggressive action.
USAID is working to control and prevent TB globally by scaling up effective interventions for prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care so progress continues and millions of lives are saved.
Honoring Champions in the Global Fight against Tuberculosis - March 25, 2014
In recognition of World Tuberculosis Day 2014, USAID honored leaders and champions dedicated to creating a TB-free world. Dr. Ariel Pablos-Méndez, USAID’s Assistant Administrator for Global Health, with Master of Ceremonies Kojo Nnamdi, host of WAMU’s “The Kojo Nnamdi Show,” celebrated these bold leaders and more:
- Senator Sherrod Brown
- Representative Eliot Engel
- Representative Kay Granger
- Rear Admiral Kenneth Castro, M.D.
Join the Conversation
Follow the World TB Day social media campaign, and share the message with friends and family.
- Follow @USAIDGH and retweet the message! Don’t forget to use the #worldTBday hashtag.
- Download our World TB Day social media toolkit [PDF, 699KB] for ideas and inspiration on how to promote TB in your community and spread the word.
- Watch our Facebook page for updates and photos from events throughout the week.
- Don’t know what to say? Use some of the suggested tweets below to get started.
— USAID Global Health (@USAIDGH) March 18, 2014
— USAID Global Health (@USAIDGH) March 19, 2014
- Video: Zero Deaths from TB
- Report: Roadmap for Childhood Tuberculosis: Toward Zero Deaths
- Brochure: Tuberculosis in Prisons: A Growing Public Health Challenge [PDF, 4MB]
- Infographic: Path to TB Innovation [PDF, 1.1MB]
- Video: Story of Mary – TB Is Curable
Last updated: April 02, 2014