- What We Do
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Democracy, Human Rights and Governance
- Economic Growth and Trade
- Ending Extreme Poverty
- Environment and Global Climate Change
- Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- Global Health
- Water and Sanitation
- Working in Crises and Conflict
- U.S. Global Development Lab
Despite being curable, tuberculosis (TB) remains an enormous global public health issue. Of the nine million people a year who get sick with TB, a third of them are “missed” by public health systems. The majority of these 3 million are the most poor and vulnerable among our population.
USAID is working to control and prevent TB globally by scaling up effective interventions for prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and care so that progress continues and millions of lives are saved.
We CAN have a world with zero TB deaths. Watch the animated video on TB and don’t forget to share and spread the word!
TB Day Resources
Honoring Champions in the Global Fight against Tuberculosis - Tuesday, March 25, 2014
In recognition of World TB Day 2014, please join Dr. Ariel Pablos-Méndez, USAID’s Assistant Administrator for Global Health, in honoring champions dedicated to creating a TB-free world.
- Learn more about the event.
- Register to watch the LiveStream of the event on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
Join the Conversation
Follow the World TB Day social media campaign and share the message with friends and family.
- Follow @USAIDGH and retweet the message! Don’t forget to use the #WorldTBday hashtag.
- Tomorrow from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm @USAIDGH will be live-tweeting at the Honoring Champions in the Global Fight against TB event. Use #TBChampion and #WorldTBDay to follow the conversation.
Tuberculosis in Prisons: A Growing Public Health Challenge
Over the last century, global control efforts have reduced the incidence of TB. However, TB in prisons remains a growing problem.
Working in close collaboration with national and international partners and stakeholders, USAID addresses the growing public health problem of TB in correctional settings by developing policy guidelines and recommendations, screening inmates, strengthening health services in prisons, improving infection control measures, and training staff.
- Download the TB brochure [PDF, 4.2MB].
Last updated: March 27, 2014
Subscribe to the Global Health E-Newsletter and updates by entering your e-mail address below. Take a look at some of our past issues.
Your email address:
Follow USAID Global Health on Social Media: