USAID Forward by the Numbers Text

USAID Forward Infographic by the numbers: Delivering Results

Since 2011, we’ve produced 186 high-quality evaluations around the world that have led to important discoveries about where to focus our strategies and when to change course where our efforts don’t deliver the results we know they can.

The first graphic displays the number of evaluations per region under the following sectors: Health, Food Security/Agriculture, Democracy, Human Rights & Government, Education, Cross-Cutting, Natural Resource, Management/Environment, Economic Growth, Energy

  • Global 20
  • Latin America & the Caribbean 34
  • Europe & Eurasia 25
  • Africa 51
  • Middle East 13
  • Asia 31
  • Afghaistan & Pakistan 12
  • Total Number 0f Evaluations 186

Achieving Sustainable Development

Partnering with local organizations is an important part of building local, long-term leadership for development efforts. The amount of funding we’ve directed to local groups and governments has increased significantly since 2010.

The second graphic shows the amount of funding directed to local groups and government:

  • In 2010 funding to local organizations was 5.68%. Funding to Host Country Governemnt was 4.03%. Total percent of mission funding was 9.71%
  • In 2011 funding to local organizations was 6.50%. Funding to Host Country Governemnt was 6.44%. Total percent of mission funding was 12.99%
  • In 2012 funding to local organizations was 7.51%. Funding to Host Country Governemnt was 6.794%. Total percent of mission funding was 14.30%
  • Total Mission Funding To Local Institutions In 2012 $14 Billion

Pie chart graphic showing the percentage breakdown of local funding for supported sectors:

  • 4.9% Health
  • 3.3% Infrastructure
  • 1.6% Democracy & Governance
  • 1.6% Education
  • 1.5% Agriculture
  • 1.4% Other

33 missions completed initial overview assessments of which countries successfully continued on to more detailed “Stage 2” assessments to determine if local funding could be directed securely

69 awards were made to host governments by 30 missions. The percentage breakdown is:

  • 17% to National Governemnts
  • 17% to Local or Regional Governments
  • 65% to Ministries/other National
  • Government Bodies

Almost $745M was awarded to local organizations in 73 missions worldwide

Utilizing Innovation

Since 2011, we’ve produced 186 high-quality evaluations around the world that have led to important discoveries about where to focus our strategies and when to change course where our efforts don’t deliver the results we know they can. To recapture our strong legacy of delivering progress through innovation, we’re placing a new emphasis on leveraging the creativity of an increasingly diverse scientific and development community.

Through our Development Credit Authority, we partnered with local financial institutions to get capital to underserved borrowers around the world—including $525 million last year alone.

The Development Credit Authority’s efforts are increasingly focused where opportunity is highest: Africa and agriculture.

  • 6 new mobile money initiatives
  • 70% of Development Innovation Ventures applicants are new to USAID
  • 50% of Grand Challenges for Development grant proposals come from developing countries
  • $383M leveraged last year through hundreds of public-private partnerships
  • 500 Applications from 49 U.S. States and 36 Countries to build our network of 7 Development Innovation Labs

Last updated: March 26, 2013

Share This Page