2,000 households in Tambura, Western Equatoria state, have access to clean water from a solar-powered system provided by USAID and UNOPS.
USAID is providing emergency assistance in response to the crisis in South Sudan
Community members in Old Fangak, Jonglei State, help unload lifesaving food aid for conflict-affected South Sudanese. WFP/Jens Hanhe
USAID’s education program in South Sudan focuses on rapidly reaching out-of-school children and improving the education system.
About South Sudan
Fighting that erupted in the capital of Juba in December 2013 plunged the Republic of South Sudan into its most severe crisis since it became independent in 2011, following decades of civil war. Thousands of South Sudanese have been killed and traumatized and more than 2 million have been displaced from their homes, including more than 500,000 who have sought refuge in neighboring countries and more than 100,000 who are sheltering at United Nations compounds in South Sudan.
Approximately half of South Sudan’s population—6.4 million people—are projected to be food insecure in early 2015, including an estimated 2.5 million facing crisis and emergency levels of food insecurity.
USAID has worked in South Sudan for decades, providing lifesaving humanitarian assistance, conflict mitigation assistance, and support for key milestones of the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement, which culminated in South Sudan’s independence. USAID has helped provide essential services to the people of South Sudan, such as health care and education, built key infrastructure such as roads and bridges, supported agriculture initiatives, and established the basic foundations of critical institutions.
- USAID and UNICEF launch initiative to provide clean water, sanitation and hygiene, and prevent gender-based violence
- United States Providing $180 Million More to Help Feed People in Need in South Sudan
- U.S. Pledges Additional Humanitarian Assistance to South Sudan
- United Nations, United States and European Union call for Immediate Action on South Sudan
- South Sudan Transition Strategy: Summary (pdf,125kb)
- South Sudan Transition Strategy: Full (pdf,1.2mb)
Last updated: June 08, 2015