In 2011, the United States Agency for International Development awarded the global five-year Systems for Improved Access to Pharmaceuticals and Services (SIAPS) Program to Management Sciences for Health. The program, implemented in more than 20 countries in Africa, Latin America, Europe, and Asia, including the Philippines, aims to support partners to ensure the availability of quality pharmaceutical products and effective pharmaceutical services to achieve desired health outcomes.
By using a systems strengthening framework, SIAPS supports the National TB Control Program of the Philippines Department of Health (DOH) and other agencies to improve TB laboratory and pharmaceutical services and ensure availability of medicines, related health commodities, and laboratory supplies. This is will be done through a strong focus on country ownership and sustainability.
SIAPS Philippines’ other key partners include the Lung Center of the Philippines, the Food and Drug Administration of the Philippines, the National TB Reference Laboratory (RITM), the National Center for Pharmaceutical Access and Management, the DOH Information Management Service, and key stakeholders, including USAID/Philippines implementing partners.
- Build the capacity of laboratory and clinic health workers and human resource systems to enable delivery of quality pharmaceutical services to combat multi-drug resistant (MDR)TB
- Build capacity in supply chain management, with a focus on MDR-TB
- Enhance the TB information management system to support both products and patients so quality TB data is available and used for decision making
- Strengthen the pharmacovigilance system to ensure patient safety and therapeutic effectiveness of TB medicines
- Improve the availability of pharmaceutical and laboratory services
To strengthen key institutions and reduce the TB burden through increased access to good quality and effective pharmaceutical and laboratory services.
- Improve capacity for pharmaceutical and laboratory supply management
- Improve capacity for transparent and evidence-based decision making
- Strengthen pharmaceutical services for improved outcomes in TB case management
Dr. Yolanda E. Oliveros
Development Assistance Specialist
Office of Health
U.S. Agency for International Development
Annex 2 Building, U.S. Embassy
1201 Roxas Boulevard 1000
Michael Gabra, M.D.
Chief of Party, SIAPS Project
Management Sciences for Health
Lung Center of the Philippines
Rm. 4011, Quezon Avenue, Quezon City
Telefax: +63 (2) 921-6486/ 921-6292
Last updated: April 28, 2014