Though it was nearly 50 years ago when President John F. Kennedy signed the executive order to create the U.S. Agency for International Development, the reasoning behind that decision has proved timeless: to aid old and new nations alike in their struggles to be free, strong, and prosperous.
FrontLines is asking its readers to help showcase that vision and spirit with a photo contest that celebrates half a century of USAID’s efforts and accomplishments.
The contest is open to any FrontLines reader, including USAID employees and alumni; employees of NGOs and contractors; and representatives from universities, foundations, and other organizations that have partnered with the Agency over the decades.
Photos should illustrate USAID’s development activities and the people who carried them out over the decades—whether they’re sporting miniskirts, bell bottoms, dashikis, parachute pants, or some other vintage apparel. Before-and-after photo combinations that showcase how USAID has changed lives in developing countries will also be accepted.
Be sure to include the story behind the image—whether it was an especially rewarding triumph or a setback that offered a hard-learned and never-forgotten lesson. In addition to the contest, the photos may become part of a 50th anniversary issue of FrontLines to be published later this year.
Keep in mind the following:
- The deadline for submissions is Aug. 15.
- Digital photo entries shot at high resolution (at least 1 megabyte) are preferred.
- Print photo entries will be accepted, however, images should be of the highest quality available—in focus and with crisp detail. To have the image returned, you must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your entry. Mail print entries to the attention of FrontLines Photo Contest, U.S. Agency for International Development, LPA/SCP Rm. 6.10-12 RRB, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20523.
- Include the date (an approximation is OK) and location for the photograph.
- Include the name of the photographer and, if applicable, the dates he or she worked at USAID.
- Three entries per person will be accepted.
- Submitting a photo through this contest grants USAID full reproduction rights to the images, including use in official USAID print and online publications, at 50th anniversary commemorations, and in the USAID photo gallery.
Send all entries, and any questions, to Frontlines@usaid.gov with the subject: Photo Contest. A panel of USAID employees will declare winners and runners-up in time for the Agency’s official 50th celebration.
So dig deep into your closets and pull out those old photo albums and shoeboxes filled with snapshots. Good luck!
Last updated: March 27, 2015