The East African region is home to some of the most spectacular wildlife and ecosystems on the continent. It is also home to rapidly growing human populations, particularly in the Lake Victoria Basin. The combination of rising development, wildlife crime, and weak regulatory frameworks has put severe strain on East African natural resources, threatening regional biodiversity, the livelihoods of local communities, and long-term development.
USAID/Kenya and East Africa is working to improve regional policies and strategies to strengthen sustainable natural resource management and adaptation to climate change. Key to this approach is strengthening the capacity of regional inter-governmental mechanisms to take the lead in counter-wildlife trafficking, biodiversity conservation, climate change adaptation, and water and sanitation.
USAID’s Strengthening Somali Governance (SSG) is a nationwide activity to support the development of effective and accountable governance across Somalia. With a focus on delivering credible political processes envisioned under the Federal Government of Somalia’s Vision 2016 roadmap, SSG will support efforts to enhance government outreach, increase citizen participation, improve the functional capacity of key government institutions, and expand women’s empowerment and leadership. SSG will also seek to develop the capacity of governance institutions in Somaliland and Puntland, as well as newly-emerging states and interim authorities, given their critical role in Somalia’s political future.
- U.N. announces progress against key EVD indicators; cautions that as some geographic areas have experienced significant improvements in the EVD situation, others have seen the rapid acceleration of EVD transmission.
- A World Bank report indicates that the EVD outbreak is significantly affecting the economies of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. The World Bank President stresses that the human and economic impact will become more devastating as the outbreak continues.
In 2011, after 12-years without a parliamentary election, the people of Côte d’Ivoire elected new representatives to the National Assembly. After that election, the new lawmakers required additional support because of the absence of a consistent, effective, and transparent government. The USAID Office of the Development Counselor launched a five-year, $13 million Legislative Strengthening Project in December, 2012 to support the members of the National Assembly in their essential governing roles and functions.
- On November 21, U.N. Secretary General (SYG) Ban Ki-moon requested that U.N. Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) and Head of the U.N. Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER) Tony Banbury establish a U.N. support mission in Mali.
- On November 21, USAID/OFDA-procured personal protective equipment (PPE) arrived in Monrovia, Liberia, with a second shipment in-transit and expected to arrive on November 28. Together, the two shipments contain approximately 107,000 PPE sets.
- In recent weeks, USAID/OFDA has committed more than $85 million to the U.N. World Food Program (WFP) and the U.N. Children’s Fund (UNICEF) for the Liberia EVD outbreak response.
USAID radi na jačanju vladavine prava u Srbiji, unapređenjem transparentnosti rada i efikasnosti prekršajnih sudova i Upravnog suda. Radi na unapređenju integriteta i otvorenosti državnih institucija kroz podršku nezavisnih agencija i napora civilnog društva da državne organe učini otvorenijim i odogovornijim u radu.
USAID strengthens Serbia’s rule of law by improving the transparency and efficiency of the judiciary, in particular the Misdemeanor and Administrative Courts. It improves the integrity and openness of government operations by supporting independent agencies' and civil society's efforts to make government open and accountable.
Целью проекта Energy Links является усиление национальной энергетической безопасности в странах Центральной Азии для повышения их способности обеспечивать круглогодичное бесперебойное электроснабжение своих граждан.
The objective of Energy Links is to increase national energy security in Central Asia to increase the ability to provide year-round, reliable power to their citizens.
Last updated: November 21, 2014