WHO releases guidance for decommissioning EVD care facilities.
Staff from the Government of Liberia (GoL) Ministry of Health (MoH) visit Liberian counties to discuss decommissioning EVD treatment units (ETUs).
International and local EVD response actors meet in Guinea’s capital city of Conakry to finalize a three-year plan to revive the Guinean health care system.
Nearly one million OVC have lost one or both parents to AIDS. According to UNICEF, one-fifth of Malawian households are looking after OVC, and many of these households are headed by girls, women and elderly women. The majority of families caring for OVC in Malawi lack the means to provide basic necessities. OVC very often lack parental care and proper nutrition, have inadequate shelter and limited access to education and healthcare, and are at an increased risk of exploitation and abuse.
“Being LGBT in Asia” is a ground-breaking, first-of-its-kind initiative to support Asia’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
- Last confirmed EVD case dies in Liberia; no new confirmed cases detected since March 20
- Sierra Leone’s three-day stay-at-home period occurs with widespread compliance
- President of Guinea Alpha Condé declares a 45-day health emergency period; closes border between Guinea and Sierra Leone
Under the Centers for Advanced Studies (CAS) Program, universities from U.S. with expertise in agriculture, water, and energy will be connected as sister schools with Pakistani universities and conduct joint applied research, student and faculty exchanges, joint revision of curriculum, and conferences.
Through this project USAID is supporting the Government of Pakistan (GOP) in validating environmental feasibility studies for the Diamer Basha Dam which is a large hydroelectric facility.
USAID Improving Educational Quality (IEQ) is a $300 million five-year project (2013-2018) that will support Pakistani-led efforts to focus on improving reading levels of up to 4.5 million primary students through early grade assessments and in-service training for 94,000 teachers
The goal of Punjab Enabling Environment Project (PEEP) is to improve the enabling environment for the agribusiness sector in Punjab by promoting private sector-led growth.
- The Government of Sierra Leone (GoSL) enacted a three-day stay-at-home period on March 27–29. Approximately 8,300 three-person teams—each comprising a nurse, a social mobilizer, and a community task force member—went door-to-door to distribute soap, promote good hygiene practices, and identify possible EVD cases. The GoSL National Ebola Response Center (NERC) reported that teams focused on EVD hotspot areas and did not deploy to four districts that have no current active transmission chains. To date, the NERC has not presented definite EVD-related data resulting from the stay-at-home period.
- In order to combat growing numbers of confirmed EVD cases, on March 28 President Alpha Condé of Guinea declared a 45-day health emergency period in Boffa, Coyah, Dubréka, Forécariah, and Kindia districts, as well as the capital city of Conakry, allowing EVD response actors to strengthen EVD response efforts. The declaration provides local Government of Guinea (GoG) officials greater authority to restrict population movements and requires that all dead bodies be systematically tested and buried in a safe and dignified manner. President Condé indicated that individuals who hide EVD-positive persons or persons not part of EVD response burial teams
Last updated: June 30, 2015