The overall goal of the Leadership, Management, and Sustainability Program (LMS/Haiti) is to strengthen the leadership and management skills of Haiti’s Ministry of Public Health and Population (MSPP) to respond to the challenges of reproductive health commodity security and the delivery of quality family planning and other health services.
USAID’s Ensuring Family Planning Commodity Security project aims to: (1) Strengthen local capacity to manage the supply chain of USAID-donated condoms and family planning commodities, and (2) Strengthen the capacity of the MSPP’s Direction of Pharmacy and Medicines (DPM) and Family Planning Program to manage commodity logistics in order to facilitate the delivery of quality family planning and other health services at the major public health sector hospitals.
- Strengthen management systems, with continued and reinforced emphasis on reproductive health commodity logistics management
- Facilitate the storage of USAID commodities at the central and health facility level and ensure the distribution of these commodities to service delivery sites supported by U.S. Government projects
- Conduct semiannual forecasting and quantification exercises to establish the current inventory and future needs of condoms and other contraceptives within the country
- Train health care providers in compliance with all USG family planning regulations on family planning service delivery
- Train MSPP staff at the central level of the DPM and the Family Planning Program as well as at the regional health department level in procurement and supply chain management
- Collaborate with the MSPP and the DPM to develop updated national policies and standard tools for pharmaceutical management
- Between October 2010 and December 2011, LMS/Haiti provided 343 family planning sites with condoms and contraceptives, including: 34,926,000 condoms, 1,019,575 Depo Provera, and 674,276 Microgynon/Lofemenal.
- LMS/Haiti distributed an additional 12,010,480 condoms and other commodities through peripheral warehouses.
- LMS/Haiti trained 275 health professionals from MSPP’s health institutions in contraceptive technology and 270 service providers from the MSPP Family Planning Program on logistics.
- LMS/Haiti trained and certified 688 health professionals from the public sector and other USG sites on the principles of making informed choices on family planning.
Budget: $11.9 million
Life of Project: March 2010-March 2015
Implementing Partner: Management Sciences for Health
Last updated: February 06, 2014