USAID’s support to one of Afghanistan’s leading financial services firms, Small Enterprise Assistance Funds-Afghan Growth Finance (SEAF-AGF), helps local entrepreneurs and change-driven companies utilize financial inputs and add value through innovation and use of new technologies. Since its inception in 2008, SEAF-AGF’s success in Afghanistan stems from its ability to structure dynamic financing options and provide management with hands-on operational support, as well as provide Afghan businesses with the international connections needed to accelerate their growth and profitability. AGF offers financing solutions to growth-oriented companies operating in key sectors of the economy. Strong emphasis is placed on agribusiness and processed agro-industry, light manufacturing, alternative energy, transport and distribution, consumer products and retail, services and technology/communications. Investments are structured to match the cash flows and capital requirements of each business and can be in the amount of $100,000 to $11.5 million.
Strong Investment Evaluation and Assessment Capabilities
Potential investments are evaluated using SEAF’s standard analysis tools and processes that are augmented for local market conditions. With a good understanding of the types of data and information that is required for proper investment evaluation, AGF’s team mitigates the challenges and risks that exist in the country. SEAF-AGF’s investment teams pride themselves on being solutions-oriented business people who work with local businesses to achieve solid economic growth, with equally solid returns for the investors.
- Expanding products and services to include leasing and Islamic finance
- Recruiting and training administrative and technical personnel
- Designing and implementing a new portfolio management information system
- Developing new credit products and strengthening lending procedures and operations
- Providing technical assistance and other value-added services to financed small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Disbursed over $40 million in total investments
- Delivered more than $300 million in development impact to stakeholders
- Provided access to long-term growth capital for more than 25 leading Afghan companies
Last updated: October 01, 2013