- WHO reports 132 new confirmed cases of EVD in Guinea and Sierra Leone in the week ending on March 1.
- No new EVD cases confirmed in Liberia in nearly two weeks.
- Response actors remain concerned regarding ongoing EVD transmission chains in Guinea’s Forécariah Prefecture, where 23 EVD cases since February 28—more than 70 percent of the 32 confirmed cases in the same time period countrywide—have occurred.
In 2014, USAID built on the critical foundation provided by the 2012 release of the Gender Equality and Female Empowerment Policy to ensure that gender equality and women’s empowerment is at the core of development. This fact sheet highlights programs shaped by the gender analysis requirement, country-specific activities, and institutional changes that have helped define this effort and looks ahead to key activities for 2015.
In 2015, Afghanistan will conduct its first Demographic and Health Survey (ADHS), the “gold standard” in survey research. The ADHS results will provide rigorous data on a range of topics: fertility levels, marriage rate, fertility preferences, awareness and use of family planning methods, breastfeeding practices, nutritional status of mothers and young children, childhood and maternal mortality, maternal and child health, and social indicators such as domestic violence.
USAID Partnership Contracts for Health (PCH) project supports the Afghan Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) to deliver basic health services to more than 1.5 million Afghans every month.
- Implementation period: August 2011 - August 2015
- Project budget: $24.5 million
USAID’s Strengthening Pharmaceutical Systems (SPS) project seeks to increase the availability and use of quality medicines and pharmaceutical commodities in Afghanistan.
- Implementation period: May 2012– January 2015
- Project budget: $28 million
- Implementation period: July 2014 - September 2018
- Project budget: $26.2 million
- Implementation period: January 2015 – December 2019
- Project budget: $15 million
Afghanistan is one of 22 high burden TB countries globally, with an estimated 56,000 new TB cases each year.
- Implementation period: October 2008 - June 2014
- Project budget: $19.7 million
- Implementation period: September 2013 - August 2015
- Project budget: $1.2 million
Last updated: April 25, 2015