Stability in Key Areas – South (SIKA-S) promotes stabilization and good governance in some of Afghanistan’s most historically unstable and weakly-governed provinces.
Led by the Afghan Government’s Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation & Development (MRRD) and the Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG), SIKA-East is designed to promote stability in key areas of eastern Afghanistan.
USAID/Malawi supports institutional strengthening and increased citizen participation in decision-making. USAID provided significant assistance during Malawi’s May 2014 tripartite election for President, Parliament, and Local Councilors—the first election of its kind in Malawi’s history. By raising awareness of electoral rights and processes, USAID’s Democracy and Governance office created a better and more informed electorate, ensured fewer irregularities during the election process, and spurred higher voter turnout. Activities increased citizens’ opportunities for engaging with government officials and therefore cultivated democratic legitimacy and inclusion.
- WHO releases guidance for decommissioning EVD care facilities
- Staff from the Government of Liberia (GoL) Ministry of Health (MoH) visit Liberian counties to discuss decommissioning EVD treatment units (ETUs)
- International and local EVD response actors meet in Guinea’s capital city of Conakry to finalize a three-year plan to revive the Guinean health care system
Nearly one million OVC have lost one or both parents to AIDS. According to UNICEF, one-fifth of Malawian households are looking after OVC, and many of these households are headed by girls, women and elderly women. The majority of families caring for OVC in Malawi lack the means to provide basic necessities. OVC very often lack parental care and proper nutrition, have inadequate shelter and limited access to education and healthcare, and are at an increased risk of exploitation and abuse.
“Being LGBT in Asia” is a ground-breaking, first-of-its-kind initiative to support Asia’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
- Last confirmed EVD case dies in Liberia; no new confirmed cases detected since March 20
- Sierra Leone’s three-day stay-at-home period occurs with widespread compliance
- President of Guinea Alpha Condé declares a 45-day health emergency period; closes border between Guinea and Sierra Leone
Under the Centers for Advanced Studies (CAS) Program, universities from U.S. with expertise in agriculture, water, and energy will be connected as sister schools with Pakistani universities and conduct joint applied research, student and faculty exchanges, joint revision of curriculum, and conferences.
Through this project USAID is supporting the Government of Pakistan (GOP) in validating environmental feasibility studies for the Diamer Basha Dam which is a large hydroelectric facility.
Last updated: April 18, 2015