Start date: December 20, 2012 End Date: June 17, 2015
Anticipated Project budget (Life of Project): $ 412,984
Implementer: Balkan Investigative Network Reporting (BIRN)
The goal of the overall SIMM project is to increase the legitimacy of the media and strengthen freedom of expression by empowering journalists to reduce their vulnerability to political, economic and legal intimidation. The project has three components:
1. Media Fact Checking Service
2. Investigative Journalism and Cooperation Between Media and Civil Society
3. Media Legal Reform and Responsible Media
The SIMM component for Enhancing Civil Society Organization (CSO) / Media Cooperation and Strengthening Investigative Journalism aims to bridge the current disconnect between journalists and CSOs on issues of public interest. The component establishes partnership relations between the media and CSOs that will enable long-term cooperation and provide the public with better and more substantial information as a basis for making informed decisions.
• The work of CSOs will be more visible in the media, while at the same time the media’s legitimacy will increase as they provide more information to the public. The line of communication between media and CSOs will be more clearly defined. By serving as factual sources, CSOs will equip journalists with public interest information that helps build professional, fact-based, objective and professional journalism.
• Journalists’ skills, knowledge and capacities will improve through use of new tools, mentoring, coaching and more available financial resources for investigative reports. Journalists will have opportunities to publish their investigative stories on existing and credible websites, present them on TV or publish them in printed magazines.
Last updated: February 22, 2013