April 2012 – June 2015
International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES)
Central Commission on Elections and Referenda; Ministry of Education and Science of the Kyrgyz Republic
Activity Goal and Overview
The Kyrgyz Republic Political Processes Program is a 3.5 year program funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID). This program is implement-ed by all three members of the Consortium for Elections and Political Process Strengthening (CEPPS):
- International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES)
- International Republic Institute (IRI)
- National Democratic Institute (NDI)
IFES activities under this program are designed to build and sustain the capacity of election administration bodies and in-crease the civic knowledge and engagement of young people in Kyrgyzstan.
Program activities include:
• Providing strategic planning to the Central Election Com-mission and training electoral management bodies
• Working with the Ministry of Education to pilot a modernized civic education curriculum and implement a teacher training plan
• Putting civic awareness principles into practice through Democracy Camps, youth forums, and other interactive tools and events
In order to build institutional capacity, IFES and the CEC revised internal management documents, including job descriptions and directives/provisions. IFES also organized a series of E-learning trainings for Territorial Election Commission members in mid-summer, 2014. IFES continually participates in regular meetings of the President’s Electoral Law Reform Working Group, which was formally established in May, 2013.
During the 2014-2015 school year, IFES will pilot the Source-book, a collection of practical activities, texts and methodologi-cal recommendations for organizing lessons in the integrated civic education course. Additionally, during summer 2014, IFES is holding two Democracy Camps for 120 students, including disabled kids. Lastly, IFES continues to support camp alumni community initiatives through the Democracy Camp Alumni Network.
Last updated: August 26, 2014