USAID partners with the people and the government of the Kyrgyz Republic to improve the country's economy, governance, health and education so families can build better lives.
USAID works to improve the accountability, inclusiveness, and effectiveness of political processes, policy formation, and service delivery in close partnership with Kyrgyzstan’s civil society, government, and the international community. Following the 2010 revolution, USAID was ready to support Parliament even before the first session of the newly elected Parliament was held. This program has ranged from assistance in drafting legislation, to committee organization and support, media outreach, and improved management and development of the Parliament’s human resources. Today, we support a range of government and civil society partners, particularly those responsible for service delivery, in identifying performance solutions that can help their institutions work better.
Improving citizen access to justice and the rule of law in Kyrgyzstan is vital to the country's stability and prosperity. We support reforms within the courts aimed to reduce corruption and improve fairness for all parties; this includes fair and open selection of judges and public access to court decisions. We also support human rights defenders and organizations working to monitor human rights abuses and advocate for the protection of rights.
USAID also has provided significant support to the flourishing media sector to help ensure that people have access to reliable and diverse sources of information. As these sectors evolve and mature, we will pursue new avenues of engagement with both civil society and the media to enhance their roles in the democratic process.
USAID Democracy, Human Rights and Governance programs:
- Access to Information (A2I) (October 2014 – September 2017)
- Enhanced Enabling Environment (E3) (October 2014 - September 2018)
- Kyrgyz Parliamentary Strengthening Program (October 2010 – September 2015)
- Good Governance & Public Administration Strengthening Project (GGPAS) (August 2013-August 2016)
- Judicial Strengthening Program (September 2011 - September 2016)
- Development through Regional Cooperation (October 1, 2012 – September 30, 2015)
- Support to Kyrgyz Republic's Legal Defence Community (February 1, 2012 - January 30, 2015)
- Counter Trafficking Program (October 2011 - September 2015)
- Legal Support for Civil Society (October, 2009 – September, 2014)
- Local Transparency and Cooperation Initiative (February 2012 - January 2015)
- Public Television and Online Media Support (January 2012 – January 2015)
- Women's Peace Banks (June 2012 - December 2014)
- Collaborative Governance Program (March 2013 – February 2018)
- Strengthening Human Rights in the Kyrgyz Republic Program (September 2013 to September 2016)
- Jasa.kg Youth Program (March 2011 - March 2015)
- Media Support Initiative (February, 2012 – July, 2015)
- Improvements in Labor Sector (2013 - 2014)
- Conflict Mitigation Program (COMTACA) ((2012 - 2014)
- Kabar Ordo Media and Conflict Transformation Program (2012 - 2014)
- Ak Zhol: the Path to Peace through Prosperity (2012 - 2014)
- Youth Theater for Peace (2010 - 2014)
- Support to National Budget Transparency (2012 - 2014)
Last updated: February 20, 2015