- Our Work
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Democracy, Human Rights, and Governance
- Economic Growth and Trade
- Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- Global Health
- Power Africa
- Working in Crises and Conflict
- Work With Us
- Dollars to Results
Kenya stands at a pivotal time in history. From the inclusive reform process that birthed a new Constitution in 2010 – to a landmark election in 2013 – Kenya has achieved many democratic milestones in the last few years.
USAID works with the Kenyan government at all levels to support democracy and good governance. These principles underpin broader development goals in the areas of health, agriculture and food security, economic growth, environment, education and youth engagement.
The country is in the process of transferring certain powers from the national government to 47 new county governments – effectively creating a new two-tier system. This approach, known as devolution, is a long and challenging process at the core of Kenya’s constitutional reform agenda. If done right, it can put the country on a path toward more inclusive, transparent, and accountable governance.
Kenyans are optimistic that this new structure will improve the quality of life; including resolving long-standing inequities, creating more jobs and opportunities; and providing better services. Making devolution work will be a great success and will pave the way for a bright future for all Kenyans.
With this goal in mind we are supporting the Government of Kenya to:
- Drive reforms through the support of key institutions and systems, especially in the areas of devolution, land, public participation, and women’s empowerment;
- Help county governments provide quality services in a transparent and accountable manner;
- Work with civil society to create avenues for active engagement between governments and citizens;
- Enhance the political participation of women, on equal terms with men, at all levels of decision-making; and
- Support free, fair and peaceful elections.
Last updated: January 05, 2015