USAID’s education program aims to improve the quality of teaching and learning in primary schools. Working with Djibouti's Ministry of Education, the program is working to:
- Develop a national teacher training plan and trained over 1,200 primary school teachers
- Create a strategy to improve access and retention of girls in school
- Revise textbooks using a gender lens
- Link secondary school girls with university mentors
- Support parent-teacher associations to identify school priorities
USAID is also strengthening governance among 112 school management committees, helping produce the Ministry's annual statistical manual with improved data and graphics, and providing job training to out-of-school youth.
Last updated: May 10, 2013