For Immediate Release
On April 25, 2012, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) in collaboration with British Petroleum and its partners opened a new milk collection facility in Saritepe village (Shamkir District). The new facility will allow dairy farmers in the Saritepe community to sell their milk to commercial processors, increasing income for local residents.
Cattle-breeding and dairy farming are the main occupations in the Saritepe community. However, historically, farmers sold only 40% of their total production, with the remaining 60% sold cheaply to middlemen or made into cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese to be kept through the winter. Moreover, hot weather in the summer, excess milk production, and the lack of local sales opportunities added additional transport and time costs to the farmers and decreased product quality.
To address these problems with the support of community members, USAID opened a new milk collection point under the auspices of the Community Based Support to Producers of Dairy Products project. The project is co-financed by British Petroleum and its partners and is implemented by the Support to Social Development Public Union (UMID).
“I particularly appeal to the women of this community. I encourage you to get involved, produce milk, and deliver it to this facility”, said a woman community leader from the neighboring Yevlakh District.
The goal of the project for the Community Based Support to Producers of Dairy Products is to expand dairy production of small and medium sized farmers. It also promotes linkages between regional collection centers and commercial processors for the sustainable development of the existing private dairy farming households and small farmers.
Related Press Releases
- GOVERNMENTS OF THE UNITED STATES AND AZERBAIJAN COOPERATE TO ADVANCE SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN THE REGIONS
- Bulgaria Study Tour: Azerbaijani Government Officials and CSO Leaders Learn about Bulgarian Civil Society
- The Governments of Azerbaijan and the United States Work Towards Increasing Public Participation in Azerbaijan
Last updated: December 09, 2014